14 August 2012

Coronation portrait tapestries : Elizabeth II & Philip


This pair of portrait tapestries were apparently made to commemorate the coronation, but not finished until 1960 by a maker who only left the initials JMN on them.  The seller guessed that they might have been made for a town hall or other public building.  Unframed size: Height 41" (104cm), Width 29" (74cm).

I wonder if these were a commercial design?  They're a lot of design work to have been done by an individual, long before the time of photo-to-chart software.  The Queen's image is apparently based on the portrait on the front of the coronation programme.  The faces are stitched in petit point.







The last picture is of the back of the work, rather than Philip as vampire...!!

The seller set a starting price of GBP400.00 and a buy it now price of GBP560.00

If you know any more about these - designer, source, whatever - please leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. I saw these on ebay and of course I wanted them, but I know I can't have everthing I want so had to let them go. I console myself with the thought I have no spare wall to place them on. Also my cats were concerned I might not be able to afford their expensive cat food. I know nothing about the tapestries and hope they found a good home. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

All blog comments are moderated (to catch spam). If you don't want your comment published (eg. you';re including an email address) then please indicate that. Your links, ideas and (copyright free) images are welcomed - I'd like this site to be as comprehensive as possible. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...